Super, Exciting Trustee Opportunities with DanceSyndrome!
Join our Board & be part of our incredible journey!
DanceSyndrome transforms lives, creating change and opportunities for people with and without learning disabilities, their families and the wider community using inclusive dance as a vehicle in a unique, ground-breaking way which doesn’t exist elsewhere.
We have a wonderful and exciting opportunity for two ambitious individuals passionate about making a difference to join us on a fast moving, exciting and transformational journey!
We currently have an opening for two new Trustees with experience in the Arts sector to join the DanceSyndrome Board.
We are specifically looking for:
- expertise in community inclusive dance, with a strong understanding of inclusive practices and operational delivery, and
- expertise of theatre programming and commissioning, theatre production or theatre management.
If you have either of these skills sets and are looking for a new and exciting challenge, we’d love to speak to you!
DanceSyndrome was founded by Jen Blackwell, who has Down’s syndrome, in 2009 and became a registered charity in 2013. Jen started DanceSyndrome, with support from her parents because she was unable to find any suitable, inclusive opportunities in Community Dance anywhere in the country.
Now 14 years old, DanceSyndrome is a current Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation 2023 – 2026 and is at pivotal point of growth. With an ambitious Managing Director and a super talented and astute Artistic Director at the helm of the organisation, DanceSyndrome is making it’s mark, getting recognised and transforming lives.
Our Vision is simple –
Our Delivery Strands
As part of the Vision 2025 strategy, we deliver our work in three different strands:
- Weekly ‘Everybody Dance’ Classes (In person & on Zoom)
- Weekly ‘Technique’ Classes (In person & on Zoom)
- Commissioned Classes & Workshops
- Outreach & Mass Participation Events
- “Dance by Example” Leadership Training
- ‘Everybody Dance’ Social Replication Model/DanceSyndrome Kitemark (In Development)
- DS Collective Performance Company
- Dance Leader Professional Development Programme (Progression Pathways, Tailored Dance Development, Masterclasses & Life Skills)
- DS Youth Collective (Company of Youth Dancers)
- Dance Sector Partnerships (In Development)
- Dance Accreditations (In Development)
Training and Consultancy
- “Breaking Down Barriers” Workshop (for dancers in training/education, community dance artists, dance teachers in traditional dance settings)
- “Inclusion in Action” Workshop (for Businesses, Universities, Colleges & Schools)
DanceSyndrome Consultancy (In Development)
If you would like to be part of something quite extraordinary, please get in touch!
DanceSyndrome is always looking to include more diverse voices and lived experiences through our Board of Trustees. We are currently seeking people with a strong understanding of the Arts sector from any background to join us. This includes (but is not limited to) those with protected characteristics, disabled people (including hidden disabilities or neurodiversity such as autism and dyslexia), people of the global majority, LGBTQIA+ and Young People aged under 25.
The DanceSyndrome family is filled with passionate and motivated people. You do not need specific experience of Board membership, we are looking for people who believe in what we do and want to support DanceSyndrome to grow its impact and to help create a fairer, more inclusive ,and equitable society for everyone.
Trustee roles are voluntary and part-time (approximately 10 hours a month) and will include virtual working as well as face-to-face meetings in and around Manchester, Preston, and the Northwest. You will have the opportunity to give back to your community whilst gaining transferrable personal and professional skills that will complement your existing skills and enable you to extend your network in the creative, cultural, public, voluntary, education and health sectors.
If you are interested and/or would love to find out more, please send an email expressing your interest to the Managing Director, Julie Nicholson on email@example.com with “Trustee Role” as the email subject.
Closing date for applications is 12pm on Monday, 5th February 2024.
If you would like an informal chat about either role, the Chair, Vice Chair or Managing Director would be happy to talk to you. Please contact Julie, as above, to make arrangements.